Covid-19 pandemic- impacts on daily life
Sameeka Nazir1, Seerat Showkat2 and Farzana3
1, 2Research Scholar, College of Temperate Sericulture, Mirgund, Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences & Technology of Kashmir, Shalimar Srinagar, J&K-190025
3 PG Student, Indira Gandhi National Open University, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi, 110068
Posted on JULY 10, 2023This article has been made to understand the impacts of COVID-19 pandemic on the daily life of people. The pandemic has affected thousands of people, who were either sick or die due to the spread of this disease. The virus created significant knock-on effects on the daily life of people as well as about the global economy. The main aim of this article is to analyse and discuss the effects of this deadly pandemic on several aspects including impacts on economic and social life, impacts on education system, agriculture and allied sectors including the sericulture sector.
The outbreak of Corona Virus (COVID-19) has been a deadly pandemic that affected the whole world. The virus was first identified on 31st December, 2019 in Wuhan, China and the World Health Organization declared it a global pandemic in March, 2020 (WHO, 2020a). COVID-19 is a contagious disease caused by a novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), different from SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV (Wang, 2020). The deadly virus mainly affects the human respiratory system causing difficulty in breathing due to the reduction in oxygen level which ultimately leads to pneumonia. The affected person has symptoms of common cold, cough, sneezing, loss of smell and taste, fatigue, pale skin etc. This viral infection affected almost millions of people in some way or the other. As it is a contagious disease, the people who were affected were isolated from the rest of society. COVID-19 has rapidly affected the day-to-day life, businesses, disrupted the world trade and movements. The pandemic has shaken all the continents of the world leaving the world in a dark and grim situation.
Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on economic and social life
The economic and social disruption caused by the pandemic is devastating. The outbreak of COVID-19 brought social and economic life to a standstill due to the lockdown imposed all around the world. The pandemic has had a multi-sectorial impact as the economic activities slowed down. Restrictions on travel hampered the movement of perishable goods causing huge losses to the businesses. The various industries and sectors were affected by the cause of this disease including the pharmaceutical industries, solar power sector, tourism and information and electronics industry (Abid and Javaid, 2020). The employment opportunity in cities and towns came down to nil and leads to a miserable lifestyle. The virus created a significant knock-on effect on the daily life of citizens, as well as about the global economy.
The pandemic brought a complex array of challenges which had mental repercussions for everyone, including children and adolescents. Restrictive measures such as isolation/quarantine, social distancing and the closure of educational institutes, workplaces and entertainment venues affected the mental health of people which leads to anger, frustration, loneliness and depressive symptoms among them (Kunal et al., 2021). The pandemic had a serious impact on migrated population due to the restrictions on travelling from one country to another country as during travelling, numbers of cases were identified positive when tested. The imposition of lockdown had a severe social impact on society. The impact of pandemic had been distressing and changed how humans perform their daily routine. The lockdown had affected much on women compared to men through the increased burden of unpaid work (Priyanshi, 2020). In addition, many women had faced domestic violence including emotional, physical and sexual abuse (Mahlangu et al., 2022). There were less awareness of the seriousness of the disease and severity of viral impact. An unaware situation created negligence in the minds of the people, as they did not listen to the government plea immediately. Further, false facts and rumours continued about the vaccines that caused vaccine hesitancy in the people.
Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on Education System
The complete lockdown of educational institutions severely impacted the education system worldwide. The United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) recognized that the COVID-19 pandemic impacted the education system in the world (UNESCO, 2020). Both students and teachers were facing problems during online education. Lack of facilities like gadgets, poor or no connectivity of the internet, technological illiteracy, external destruction and family interruption were the major issues noticed during online education. Many below poverty line children who were regularly nourished with the help of midday meals were unable to fulfil their hunger due to closed educational institutions. . ................see more
- Abid, H., Mohd, J., Raju, V. 2020. Effects of COVID-19 pandemic in daily life. Current Medicine Research and Practice. 10(2): 78-79
- Balamurugan, P. 2021. Impact of COVID-19 ON Agriculture and Allied Sectors in India. Global Development Review. 5(1)
- Central Silk Board. 2021.Note on the functioning of Central Silk Board and performance of Indian silk industry,pp. 21-23.
- FAO-Food and Agriculture Organization. 2020. Q&A: COVID-19 pandemic-Impact on food and agriculture. https://www.fao.org/2019-ncov/q-and-a/en
- Priyanka, C., Debajit, B., Shrishail, D. 2021. A Review on Effect of COVID-19 on Indian Sericulture Sector. International Journal of Social Sciences. 10(02): 173-179
- Rubia, B., Aradhana, S. 2022. Impact of C0VID-19 on the Indian Sericulture Industry. Uttar Pradesh Journal of Zoology. 43 (20): 9-19
- Kunal, C., Dinesh, K.V., Nidhi, S. 2021. COVID-19 and its impact on education, social life and mental health of students: A survey. Children and Youth Services Review. 121: 105866
- Mahlangu, P., Gibbs, A., Shai, N., Machisa, M., Nunze, N., Sikweyiya, Y. 2022. Impact of COVID-19 lockdown and link to women and children’s experiences of violence in the home in South Africa. BMC Public Health. 22:1029
- Priyanshi, C. 2020. Gendering COVID-19: Impact of the Pandemic on Women’s Burden of Unpaid Work in India. Gender Issues, 38: 395-419
- UNESCO. 2020. UNESCO Rallies International Organizations, Civil Society and Private Sector Partners in a Broad Coalition to Ensure #LearningNeverStops. UNESCO. https://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-rallies-international-organizations-civil-society-and-private-sector-partners-broad
- Wang, H., Wang, Z.B., Dong, Y., Chang, R., Xu, C., Yu, X., Zhang, S., Tsamlag, L., Shang, M., Huang, J., Wang, Y., Xu, G., Shen, T., Zhang, X., Cai, Y. 2020. Phase-adjusted estimation of the number of Coronavirus Disease 2019 cases in Wuhan, China. Cell Discovery. 6(1): 10
- WHO-World Health Organization. 2020a. Novel Corona-virus (2019-nCoV). Situation report-1. pp 5. https://www.who.int/emegencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
- WHO-World Health Organization. 2020b. Impact of COVID-19 on people’s livelihood, their health and our food systems. https://www.who.int/news/item/13-10-2020-impact-of-covid-19-on-people’s-livelihoods-their-health-and-our-food-systems
Note Society for Science and Nature(SFSN) do not hold any responsibility about the views, opinion and work of author(s) presented in the article published in SFSN